Wednesday, May 19, 2010

MY FAVORITE 1950'S B-HORROR HALF-DOZEN #1

Somebody asked me a while back what my favorite 50's B-horror films were. It didn't take me too long to come up with a short list. I'll be presenting them over the next week or so in no particular order. The first one is:

CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN (Vogue Pictures, 1958)

A fast-paced script and interesting premise make this a very watchable and underrated monster movie. Quintillus Aurelius as the Etruscan come back to life was pretty scary back in the day, to say nothing that the concept for the monster was wholly original. Also worthy of mention was the film score by Gerald Fried (I BURY THE LIVING, T.H.E. CAT, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., STAR TREK). It was energetic and fit the action perfectly. I have only one caution: Beware the man in the rubber suit that creases at the knees!

No comments: